The Lower Saxony Declaration of the Many
The development of our society is a positive one. Our country is now more diverse and liberal-minded. As a result, new questions concerning the social coexistence need to be answered. The process of asking questions and finding the answers is more and more taken over by populists who cause anxiety and insecurity. The cultural institutions of Lower Saxony want to fight against these powers and work together with a progressive and mediative approach. Democracy doesn’t work without contradictions and needs to debated and defended everyday anew. As people working in the field of culture we are very much aware of our reponsibility. After two dictatorships in this country, the fascist tyranny with immense crimes and a socialist dictatorship, we became sensitive for these movements in a special way. We are strictly against every ideological dictation, inhuman propaganda and extremist danger for our liberal society, also with our artistic work. We fight off indoctrination of every kind. Freedom of expression is one of the most important achievements and a basic requirement of our community. This freedom is inalienable, especially for the arts. Art often causes provocative ideas and utopias and therefore is an essential part of the development of our society. It is our duty to protect and defend the rights of our constitution. With help of the arts we always fight against the defamation of the other, against racial violence, against oppression of sexual orientation, against censorship, but always for the right of the freedom of expression. Together with many other cultural institutions in Germany we want to protect our liberal fundamental order and with that the freedom of the arts.
- All cultural institutions, theatres, museums and associations, groups of artists and individuals are asked to be a signatory. It is of course possible to sign after the publication.
- With their signatures, the leadership or leadership team agrees to circulate the declaration within their organisation, promoting discussion with employees, company members, curators, audiences and the public.
- The declaration will be published March 21st 2019 on the website, in theatre programmes, as posting in the foyer and via press release. The design of the „Many“ will be included in the institutional webdesign. The signatories are published on the website dievielen.de.
- The signatories are standing in permanent exchange and are part of the national campaign in Berlin on May 19th 2019: „Glänzende Demonstration der Kunst und Kultur – Solidarität statt Privilegien. Es geht um Alle. Die Kunst bleibt frei!“ („Glittering demonstration of the arts and culture – solidarity over privileges. It’s about all of us. Freedom for the arts!“)
- They lead on an open and critical dialogue focussing on strategies that attack the society of the Many and so undermine the democratic values. The signatories organize this dialogue with participants and the audience in convictions that the involved institutions have the mission to develop our society further into a democratic one.